What is Expected of Mentors?
We purposefully have designed this program to be flexible for busy faculty. We know that you are busy and have many personal and professional commitments. You and your mentee have complete control over your mentorship relationship and can decide how you want the relationship to work.
However, we do have some suggestions:
- Determine right away about when and how you will connect with your mentee.
- Note that one meeting is required (either in person or via phone or video chat) but the number of subsequent meetings will vary depending on the length of the relationship.
- Approach your mentorship relationship with respect, professionalism, and an open mind.
- Respond to communications from your mentee in a timely manner.
- Listen and ask open-ended questions, which will assist your mentee reach their goals.
- Send your feedback and suggestions for improvement periodically to email@example.com. As this is a new program, we’d greatly appreciate your candid feedback.
- Tell your colleagues to consider serving as a mentor. As a new program, we rely on word of mouth to promote the program.